*if you are vegetarian, have dietary restrictions, allergies, etc., any ingredient can be swapped or ignored*
DIY Homemade Meat & Veggie Wontons (菜肉雲吞):
What You’ll Need:
- Bok Choy
- Pork Tenderloin *use fatty meat like ground pork for looser wonton texture
- Wonton Wrappers
- White Pepper Powder
- Sesame Oil
- Olive Oil
- Shaoxing Cooking Wine
- Cooking bag/ Cheesecloth
- Chicken Broth
- Scallion (Chinese Green Onion)
- Seafood Soy Sauce
Preparing Wonton Filling:
- Clean and boil the Bok Choy
- Chop the Bok Choy into tiny chunks
- Put the chopped Bok Choy into the cooking bag/cheesecloth & squeeze the excess water out
- Chop the meat until it becomes like a meat paste and sticks to the knife. *DO NOT COOK THE PORK* (if you use ground pork, skip this step)
- Mix the meat and the vegetable together.
- Add salt, white pepper, starch, eggs, sesame oil, olive oil, and cooking alcohol and mix.
I used 9 bags of bok choy, 2.3kg of pork tenderloin, 7 bags of wonton wrappers, starch (~3tsp), salt (~2tsp), pepper (~2tsp), 4 eggs, sesame oil (1 circle around the bowl), cooking alcohol (1 circle), olive oil (1 circle).
TIP: Make a wonton, cook it and do a taste test. (add more flavouring if necessary)
How to Fold Wontons:
- Keep a bowl of clean water by your side
- Use chopsticks / a spoon to get a good amount of stuffing (refer to photo)
- Dip your finger into the water and draw a line across the wrapper
- Fold the wrapper in half
- Fold the ends together into a C shape
- Wet one end, pull the other end together and hold.
Cooking the Wontons:
- Boil water and put in the wontons
- Boil the Chicken broth
- Put ~1 spoon of sesame oil and seafood soy sauce each into a bowl
- Prepare the scallions & put it into the same bowl
- Strain the wonton once they are finished cooking (they float)
- Put the wonton in the bowl
- Pour the soup in.
- Mix and serve
OMGGG… I have extra wontons, what do I do? Just freeze them, they last pretty long.
Tip: Separate each layer on the plate with plastic wrap as you build your wonton mountain. Otherwise it’ll be impossible to separate the mountain once it’s frozen.
My mama always made these for me during exam period, so I could have a quick and easy meal while living away from home. Love you mama <3!